Windows 10: Copy/Clone of HDD used for Windows Backups Solved

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 8
    Windows 10 Version 1703
       06 Jul 2018 #1

    Copy/Clone of HDD used for Windows Backups


    I use a 500 gb external HDD to store Windows backup files and System Images. I do a backup each morning. The 500gb external HDD stays connected to the computer and holds approximately 10 System Images in addition to the file backups


    A few days ago, I used Macrium Reflect (MR) to make a clone of my 500 gb backup HDD. I wanted a backup of the backup to keep in a drawer.


    Unfortunately, if I try to use the MR clone HDD to restore a System Image using Windows, Windows only lists the last System Image instead of the approximately 10 System Images that I know are on the cloned HDD. (Windows appears to be treating the cloned HDD like a network backup - listing only the last System Image).

    I have not used MR to make backups. If I start using MR for backups, will I be able to clone the MR backup HDD and then store it in a drawer. If the answer is yes, will I be able to select System Images off of the clone when I try to use MR to restore a System Image off of the cloned HDD?

    Thanks for any info or suggestions.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. SIW2's Avatar
    Posts : 461
    trying to install win10
       06 Jul 2018 #2

    What kind of clone did you make? Windows system image moves old blocks into the shadow storage area. You would need to include System volume information in the clone .

    If you want to use any of the 3rd party tools, they create separate image files. Aomei, macrium, paragon, Drive Snapshot, Image for Windows, O&O diskimage, Casper, etc all do broadly the same job as each other.

    It is a matter of which you find easiest to use - and the features differ somewhat as well. Aomei Backupper is simplest to use, fast and does a great job. I started the forum interest in macrium way back in the Vista days - when it was the only game in town. Now there are plenty of others to choose from. I have moved on, but there are still several macrium fetishists on this forum. You will probably find fans of some of the other products as well.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    07 Jul 2018 #3

    SIW2 said: View Post
    What kind of clone did you make? Windows system image moves old blocks into the shadow storage area. You would need to include System volume information in the clone .

    If you want to use any of the 3rd party tools, they create separate image files. Aomei, macrium, paragon, Drive Snapshot, Image for Windows, O&O diskimage, Casper, etc all do broadly the same job as each other.

    It is a matter of which you find easiest to use - and the features differ somewhat as well. Aomei Backupper is simplest to use, fast and does a great job. I started the forum interest in macrium way back in the Vista days - when it was the only game in town. Now there are plenty of others to choose from. I have moved on, but there are still several macrium fetishists on this forum. You will probably find fans of some of the other products as well.
    You are being very insulting calling Macrium Reflect fans fetishists. It is overwhelmingly this forums favourite, and far superior in many ways to the alternatives.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    07 Jul 2018 #4

    jmx said: View Post
    I use a 500 gb external HDD to store Windows backup files and System Images. I do a backup each morning. The 500gb external HDD stays connected to the computer and holds approximately 10 System Images in addition to the file backups


    A few days ago, I used Macrium Reflect (MR) to make a clone of my 500 gb backup HDD. I wanted a backup of the backup to keep in a drawer.


    Unfortunately, if I try to use the MR clone HDD to restore a System Image using Windows, Windows only lists the last System Image instead of the approximately 10 System Images that I know are on the cloned HDD. (Windows appears to be treating the cloned HDD like a network backup - listing only the last System Image).

    I have not used MR to make backups. If I start using MR for backups, will I be able to clone the MR backup HDD and then store it in a drawer. If the answer is yes, will I be able to select System Images off of the clone when I try to use MR to restore a System Image off of the cloned HDD?

    Thanks for any info or suggestions.
    Why on earth did you try to clone a drive that contains image backups?

    The image backups are compressed and all you had to do was to simply copy the backups from one drive to another using file explorer.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    08 Jul 2018 #5

    Do you mean you want to make a backup of the backup in the 500GB external HDD? If so, you can try to clone the whole disk to a new hard drive. In this way, all the contents on the hdd will be migrated to another drive.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    08 Jul 2018 #6

    emilywang said: View Post
    Do you mean you want to make a backup of the backup in the 500GB external HDD? If so, you can try to clone the whole disk to a new hard drive. In this way, all the contents on the hdd will be migrated to another drive.
    Waste of time. Existing image files are compressed. Using an imaging tool for this is pointless if indeed it can image/clone external drives (many cannot).

    Simply easier to select all files in root of first hdd and copy to new HDD using file explorer.

    Why make it complicated?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7. SIW2's Avatar
    Posts : 461
    trying to install win10
       09 Jul 2018 #7

    Yes, that seems to do the job the OP asked about.

    emilywang said: View Post
    Do you mean you want to make a backup of the backup in the 500GB external HDD? If so, you can try to clone the whole disk to a new hard drive. In this way, all the contents on the hdd will be migrated to another drive.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 8
    Windows 10 Version 1703
    Thread Starter
       09 Jul 2018 #8

    cereberus & SIW2
    Using File Explorer- Copy I can copy the three files/folders (C-DESKTOP, WindowsImageBackup, and MediaID.bin) from my backup external HDD to another external HDD. When I open WindowsImageBackup folder on the copy external HDD all the backedup files are there.

    The problem I run into is - when I disconnect my backup HDD (you must do this or get incorrect results) and do a System Image Restore; Windows System Image Restore from the copy only lists the one system image (the latest system image) and does not list the other system images that I know are on the drive.

    It does not matter if I use File Explorer to copy or if I clone the backup HDD with Macrium Reflect. I get the same result, when I try to restore system images from the copy - only the latest system image is shown.

    If anyone knows a way to copy a backup HDD and then have Windows System Restore list all of the system images from the copy, I would be interested in knowing what the trick is.

    Or, to state the problem in another way, does anyone know of a way to make a backup of their backup HDD?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    09 Jul 2018 #9

    When using Macrium Reflect Free, There is an option to manually select other images. Just navigate to whatever you like. It does not matter if last one only is seen in restore profile. That only ever shows last one unless you backup images to same backup folder.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10. SIW2's Avatar
    Posts : 461
    trying to install win10
       09 Jul 2018 #10

    Clone the whole disk ( not just a partition). After the clone completes, Detach the source Disk before rebooting into Windows . Then, you should be able to acces the shadow copy storage and get the earlier system images listed.

    After that - do not have the source and cloned drive attached at the same time.

    Probably best to do the clone from boot media - Aomei should be able to do that, but I haven't tested in this scenario. Clonezilla could be your best bet.
    Clonezilla - Downloads
    Clonezilla - Browse Files at SourceForge.net

    jmx said: View Post
    If anyone knows a way to copy a backup HDD and then have Windows System Restore list all of the system images from the copy, I would be interested in knowing what the trick is.
    Last edited by SIW2; 10 Jul 2018 at 15:22.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Related Threads
Looking to make a bootable backup of win10. Does Aoemi system clone copy all of the c: drive? I only have the c: drive, there is no d:\ drive partition on this hard drive. Best Free Hard Disk Clone Software – AOMEI Backupper System...
I need to CLONE my 256GB SSD Boot drive and wish to place it onto a 3 TB HDD. I have this 3TB HDD divided into 5 Partitions for various needs. BUT I have one partition I have assigned 300GB so if will accept the Clone of the SSD Drive. Will it...
Hi, my old laptop died and I have the HDD in an external caddy. I previously used Live Mail and want to transfer contacts and emails from it to Live Mail on my new laptop. The new laptop has a clean install of Live Mail, untouched with nothing set...
If I clone a disc with Acronis true home image .Does it just copy programmas and apps I have installed? This would save me a lot of time if this is true. For example if I have Windows 10 Home installed when I backed it up and installed pro, would...
Found a clone, carbon copy in Chillout Room
http://www.windows10forums.com/
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:21.
Find Us