Windows 10: Can I connect GPU to this PSU?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    1 Week Ago #1

    Can I connect GPU to this PSU?


    Hello,
    so I am buying a new GPU to upgrade my system. Since the new GPU is more power demanding than the previous one, it requires a 6-pin connection from the PSU in addition to the power provided by the PCI-E slot. I just checked and my PSU only seems to have a couple of 4-pin connectors (I will attach a few images so you can see what I'm talking about). Will I be able to connect the GPU in some way? Perhaps with an adaptor? Any help would be much appreciated.

    Thanks in advance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180712_125851.jpg   20180712_130542.jpg  
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 628
    Win 10 pro Upgraded from 8.1
       1 Week Ago #2

    Looks like you need to upgrade your PSU This looks to be a very old one and probably doesn't support power to Graphics card I don't see any connector in that bundle that will do the job. Also you'll probably need a 650 Watt or higher PSU to support that Graphic card.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    1 Week Ago #3

    Clintlgm said: View Post
    Looks like you need to upgrade your PSU This looks to be a very old one and probably doesn't support power to Graphics card I don't see any connector in that bundle that will do the job. Also you'll probably need a 650 Watt or higher PSU to support that Graphic card.
    My PSU does have enough power to support the GPU, it draws 120W max and has a recommended PSU output of 400W while my PSU is 450 Watts.

    Wouldn't something like this work?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 628
    Win 10 pro Upgraded from 8.1
       1 Week Ago #4

    Yes it would be borderline since your PSU supplies power to all other devices and your motherboard hard drive sound card etc. if it had the proper connections for a video card some are 6 pins and some are 8 pin. some PSU will have two 4 pins that interlock to create an 8 pin power supply that actually fits and supplies the correct volts and amps for your Video card. I don't see either of these connectors in the two pictures you supplied us.
    Video card PSU connector picture - Google Search
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    1 Week Ago #5

    Aggserp4 said: View Post
    My PSU does have enough power to support the GPU, it draws 120W max and has a recommended PSU output of 400W while my PSU is 450 Watts.

    Wouldn't something like this work?
    Theoretically a molex->PCIe adapter could work. However, you have to look at the power output of the individual voltage rails on the PSU (usually printed on a sticker on the PSU)- the total power output is not a useful number, especially for older units.

    Current CPUs and GPUs pull almost all their power off of the 12V rail. Old CPUs pulled almost all their power off the 5V or 3.3V rails.

    A modern 400W PSU may output 30A at 12V but an old 400W PSU may only output 15A at 12V.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    1 Week Ago #6

    What's the new GPU?

    Can you provide a picture of the label on the PSU that gives its specs?

    Some vendors (like eVGA) list required available current at +12V. That's a better spec than the total power of the PSU. A poor "600W" PSU may have a lower current rating at +12V than a good 400W one.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    1 Week Ago #7

    bobkn said: View Post
    What's the new GPU?

    Can you provide a picture of the label on the PSU that gives its specs?

    Some vendors (like eVGA) list required available current at +12V. That's a better spec than the total power of the PSU. A poor "600W" PSU may have a lower current rating at +12V than a good 400W one.
    Not close to my computer right now but I'll try to post an image when I get the chance.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    1 Week Ago #8

    PolarNettles said: View Post
    Theoretically a molex->PCIe adapter could work. However, you have to look at the power output of the individual voltage rails on the PSU (usually printed on a sticker on the PSU)- the total power output is not a useful number, especially for older units.

    Current CPUs and GPUs pull almost all their power off of the 12V rail. Old CPUs pulled almost all their power off the 5V or 3.3V rails.

    A modern 400W PSU may output 30A at 12V but an old 400W PSU may only output 15A at 12V.
    Also what would happen if the PSU did not output enough current for the GPU? For example 20A instead of 30? Would the GPU still function? Could it get damaged?

    (Sorry for the double post)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    1 Week Ago #9

    Aggserp4 said: View Post
    Also what would happen if the PSU did not output enough current for the GPU? For example 20A instead of 30? Would the GPU still function? Could it get damaged?

    (Sorry for the double post)
    I don't know. If the PSU's protection circuitry fails, I imagine that you could take out the PSU, which could take the GPU, CPU, and motherboard with it. In other words, it's not worth the risk.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 351
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit, Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.1)
       1 Week Ago #10


    @Aggserp4
    I agree with Clintlgm,
    that it would be in your best interest to upgrade the PSU.
    PSU calculators are notorious for grossly overestimating wattage.
    With that said.
    Here is a basic configuration,
    without a GPU included in the calculations.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	power-supply-calculator.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	181.3 KB 
ID:	195514

    Having wattage headroom is also something to consider.
    I always go with 100-150 watts of headroom.
    The system calculations shown above, may utilize 289 watts at full load.
    The recommended PSU is a 400 watt unit.
    This is a headroom of 111 watts.
    This calculation also didn't include a GPU into it's calculation.
    Adding another 150 watts, for an entry level GPU.
    Would bring the recommended PSU up to a 550 watt unit.
    It's always better to have more wattage then not enough.

      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Checked:- All updates downloaded and applied on all machines. Laptop File & Printer sharing is turned on. Both HDs on the laptop are set up for sharing on the network with Everyone having all permissions. Teamviewer 12 can access the laptop...
I need to access all the file on my broken laptop, I think ssd type is m.2 pcie, I open up the laptop and take out the ssd. Is a ssd connector what I need to buy? I don't know the technical term here, basically I need to access the file store in the...
Hello, I am trying to use the new Windows 10 Connect App. I have a Window 10 PC and tablet, both on the latest AU build. I also have a phone with Window 10 Mobile. On the PC, I connect to my Wifi network, ensure settings are setup...
Can't connect to PC on LAN in Network and Sharing
A bit of background (or maybe a separate problem, in which case please give advice) is that my PC (ethernet) had been disconnecting from my router while my phone on WiFi remained connected. I reset my router each time which solved it for a while....
Cannot Connect To Wi-Fi in Network and Sharing
Hello i have tried connecting to my school's apartment however it always goes to no connections are available and then airplane mode and shows connections are available. the Wi-Fi connects just fine in all other areas of the school byt not in my...

Tags for this Thread

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:21.
Find Us