Windows 10: ESET discovers first LoJax UEFI rootkit malware by Sednit group

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. xTL's Avatar
    Posts : 212
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit (1809) 17763.1
       1 Week Ago #40

    Penny K said: View Post
    Seriously?!
    Attachment 207788

    Apple, Ubuntu or and other Linux system runs as a User at startup, you need "R00T" (Or Administrator as in Windows) permission to make changes to the OS.
    Windows runs as a Administrator at startup giving full access and control of the operating system. . . . .

    "W10, users with administrator privileges have complete control over the OS and their apps have unrestricted access to the computer. Running as administrator, an exploit can more easily gain control of your system. It can install rootkits, keyloggers, and other suspect services without you knowing. A malicious program can also modify and delete files, and even prevent devices from booting.

    However, using a user account with fewer privileges can block most attacks."

    why should you run a Windows computer from the user account - Google Search

    Relax Penny, it was just a question.
    Because you stated something yet again that was very unclear.
    Hence the Question mark i gave after my reply.

    Also i definitely don't agree with you that a user account is safer to use rather than a admin account in windows.
    If your system does get infected by malicious code, it won't matter if you use a admin or user acc.
    Only thing that matters is to clean it out & get the system secure and stable again!


    You mention Apple and Linux, well apple isn't a operating system it's a company,
    However Apple makes operating system for both their mobile devices and computers.
    MacOS newest release is macOS Mojave. That is a operating system, and it's based on Unix.


    Penny K said: View Post
    However, using a user account with fewer privileges can block most attacks."
    This has to be one of the most ridiculous statements i've ever read!

    And im guessing you went to google.com and searched for
    " why should you run a Windows computer from the user account "
    You then looked through the links picked link 3 that goes here,
    copied what was written there and pasted it here.
    Then added some of your own words, to make it seem that you actually know what ur talking about, when in fact you don't.

    The article you most likely copied the text from goes on to talk about how,
    how a nontechnical user is recommended to use a standard account,
    but by that definition, if a " nontechnical user " gets a malware or rootkits, keyloggers, ect
    ( as given in your example ) where do you think they go to get help?

    Obviously to someone with a bit more knowledge than themself.
    You think that person with a bit more knowledge would be on a user acc instead of a admin acc?
    Last edited by xTL; 1 Week Ago at 08:31.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    1 Week Ago #41

    winactive said: View Post
    PatchMyPC looks OK but it's arguing with me about things that are up to date saying they're not and it's missed a lot completely. I agree it's better than Filehippo App Manager. Too many options and too busy for me.

    I used to use Secunia PSI that was the best but alas now no longer.

    bullSPIT there is something wrong with your system or you're using it wrong. none of these programs are going to have EVERYTHING in them. yes psi was the best and it took me a good while to find patch my pc. too many options my ASP. the only options that should concern you are setting up where you want the portable apps actually saved to(if you want any of the portable apps), and deciding if you want it to just download and let you install or if you just want it to silently install for you. personally i find it does save lots time and is worth the little bit of time it takes to change a few settings.
    Last edited by IAmNoOne; 1 Week Ago at 07:07.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    6 Days Ago #42

    xTL said: View Post
    Relax Penny, it was just a question.
    Because you stated something yet again that was very unclear.
    Hence the Question mark i gave after my reply.

    Also i definitely don't agree with you that a user account is safer to use rather than a admin account in windows.
    If your system does get infected by malicious code, it won't matter if you use a admin or user acc.
    Only thing that matters is to clean it out & get the system secure and stable again!
    Actually, it's a known fact, and has been since UAC, that many malware infections are stopped and/or severely hindered from wreaking their intended havoc on a system, if they are unleashed on a Standard User Account. So, it is safer to run daily using a Standard User account, and have an Admin account available for when it's needed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 8,837
    10 Home x64 (1809) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       6 Days Ago #43

    simrick said: View Post
    Actually, it's a known fact, and has been since UAC, that many malware infections are stopped and/or severely hindered from wreaking their intended havoc on a system, if they are unleashed on a Standard User Account...
    It seems to be an overlooked fact that in Windows 10 even an administrator account runs processes and apps at standard user privileges by default. That's why UAC keeps popping up, even when signed in as an administrator.

    The advice that it's being sensible not to use an administrator account for daily use date back to XP when anything an administrator ran was at full privileges.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5. xTL's Avatar
    Posts : 212
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit (1809) 17763.1
       6 Days Ago #44

    simrick said: View Post
    Actually, it's a known fact, and has been since UAC, that many malware infections are stopped and/or severely hindered from wreaking their intended havoc on a system, if they are unleashed on a Standard User Account. So, it is safer to run daily using a Standard User account, and have an Admin account available for when it's needed.

    Most malicious code works as a chain reaction. One brings more!
    UAC does not prevent malicious code.
    A few perhaps or at least at best.. but not all, and due to that fact, once the system gets infected it does not matter if you use a admin acc or a user acc!
    My perspective of OS safety is based up on the amount of control you have in your system.
    I rather work at a admin level where i can make sure that my system is under my controll and not
    someone else's.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    6 Days Ago #45

    My point is, that using a Standard User account can prevent malware infections from fully taking hold of a system. I have seen it many times: infections in a Standard User account had not completely infiltrated the OS for whatever they were designed to do, (like they would have done using an Admin account), and were/are much easier to clear out.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7. xTL's Avatar
    Posts : 212
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit (1809) 17763.1
       6 Days Ago #46

    So when i wrote " malicious code, " i wasn't just reffering to " malware infections " but also, rootkit, keyloggers adware ect.
    A standard user account with UAC active will not be able to
    prevent this!
    And because of this it won't matter if it's a user acc or admin acc.
    The best thing you can do is to protect yourself from the
    malicious code before it infects ur system.
    Malware gets smarter and smarter each time someone developes it, UAC does not!

    I've cleaned out many many of my
    friends &families computers, some on admin acc & some on user acc, and because they had no protection in their system other then the standard that windows gives, there's no way of knowing what damage was done by the malicious code that had been infecting their system for a long time.

    In the end they felt angry, worried, ect and just wanted the
    infections gone and their security & privacy restored.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    5 Days Ago #47

    IAmNoOne said: View Post
    bullSPIT there is something wrong with your system or you're using it wrong. none of these programs are going to have EVERYTHING in them. yes psi was the best and it took me a good while to find patch my pc. too many options my ASP. the only options that should concern you are setting up where you want the portable apps actually saved to(if you want any of the portable apps), and deciding if you want it to just download and let you install or if you just want it to silently install for you. personally i find it does save lots time and is worth the little bit of time it takes to change a few settings.
    I don't think I am using it wrong. The tool loks like a cobbled together POS if you ask me. I won't lose sleep not using it!

    Yep, the thread is still over populated with Linux evangelists, who strangely still use Windows....
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    4 Days Ago #48

    winactive said: View Post
    I don't think I am using it wrong. The tool loks like a cobbled together POS if you ask me. I won't lose sleep not using it!

    Yep, the thread is still over populated with Linux evangelists, who strangely still use Windows....
    AhHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa you aren't using it right
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Related Threads
Hi everyone absolute newbie here So just this day i was working on my thesis and i had to use a friend's flash drive cause our files were in there, so i scanned it thoroughly first with Malwarebytes and Avast, and it showed no viruses. But...
Every...i mean every anti malware blocked by unknown malware/virus in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
i have looked up this issue and apparently this must be a new one since there is no solution what so ever, even the hidden admin account is defenseless, here is what's going on 1. the PC got infected on windows defenders watch, the infection...
ESET Internet Security® 10 and ESET® NOD32® Antivirus 10 - 2017 Edition Beta 83163 83164 Source and Beta download: http://www.eset.com/int/beta/edition2017/
Malware/eset in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Has any body have this happen ? Windows 10 Pro,eset and malwarebytes paid.I was on the internet looking at sites with Pictures of Tv Stars. Close my browser (firefox). Got a popup that defender needs to scan you computer (i'm using eset. Checked...

Tags for this Thread

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:16.
Find Us